Thursday, February 05, 2009

Etta James Says, 'I Can't Stand Beyoncé'

You go girl!
If you were wondering why Beyoncé and not Etta James was asked to serenade the president and first lady with "At Last" during their first dance at an inauguration ball on Jan. 20, you're not alone.

Etta, 71, whom Beyoncé went blonde to portray in last year's "Cadillac Records," is wondering the same thing, and she candidly expressed her displeasure during a concert stop in Seattle last week.

"You guys know your president, right?" she asked the crowd amid cheers (listen to it here. "You know the one with the big ears? Wait a minute, he ain't my president, he might be yours, he ain't my president. You know that woman he had singing for him, singing my song -- she's gonna get her a-- whipped. The great Beyoncé ... But I can't stand Beyoncé. She has no business up there, singing up there on a big ol' president day ... singing my song that I've been singing forever."
Man that's one gal that takes no sh!t from nobody. You can see her, and by far the best version of "At Last," HERE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Etta James is a living musical icon. And even though "At Last" is 'her' song, I would think she would be glad Beyonce', who by the way does a FANTASTIC job with the song, sings it as well as she does. Why doesn't she call THE PRESIDENT and ask him to receive an answer that Beyonce can't give her. Just MY thoughts!!!

Carmilla