Friday, November 18, 2005

Kerry Rewrites History or He Who Lies Most, Lies Best

Last night on CNN Lurch had this to say....

BLITZER: Let's get to what the president said last Friday, and he quoted specifically something you said on the eve of the war. He said "many of these critics supported my opponent during the last election, who explained his position to support the resolution in the Congress this way: 'When I vote to give the president of the United States the authority to use force, if necessary, to disarm Saddam Hussein, it is because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a threat, and a grave threat, to our security.'

"You firmly believed that, going into the war; that's why you voted for that resolution.

KERRY: Providing he had those weapons, and providing -- which the president didn't quote, as he distorted again to America our position and the truth -- providing that he did the other things, which are: a follow-through on the inspections; not go unilaterally; build a legitimate coalition; plan carefully and go as a last resort. All of which the president said he would do; none of which he did do.

BLITZER: But going into the war, based on the intelligence that you received, you had no doubt that Saddam Hussein had stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.

KERRY: I believed that Saddam Hussein had stockpiles, and I believed Saddam Hussein wanted to get more weapons. But I also believed that -- as did many of my colleagues, that the intelligent way to try to deal with that was to do the inspections. I wrote an op-ed in the "New York Times" in which I suggested that you needed to go do them.

But just a little over a year ago Kerry said it wouldn't have changed his vote even had he known the truth.

GRAND CANYON, Ariz. (Reuters) - Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry said on Monday he would have voted for the congressional resolution authorizing force against Iraq even if he had known then no weapons of mass destruction would be found.

Taking up a challenge from President Bush, whom he will face in the Nov. 2 election, the Massachusetts senator said: "I'll answer it directly. Yes, I would have voted for the authority. I believe it is the right authority for a president to have but I would have used that authority effectively."

This is classic Kerry, political expedience personified. The question that begs to be asked of him and much of the Democrat leadership, "were you lying then or are you lying now"?

No comments: